Thursday, October 1, 2009

I Capture The Castle--Dodie Smith

I'm reading this with Amy, though I shot ahead of her and am almost done. (A re-read for me, so I'm allowed.) I want to rattle this book at the author of the Twilight series and say "LISTEN, lady: THIS is how you do a book about coming of age and first love and all that crap. Clean up the writing, give it some wit, and for god's sake DON'T HARP. THAT will engage your readers." Ahem.
Between myself and Meyers though, only one of us has multi-million dollar book and film contracts and an entire youth subculture devoted to our works. So maybe she knows what she's doing.

But I I Capture the Castle is still way, way better. I wish for a 13-year-old daughter to spring fully formed from the woodwork in my house, just so the two of us could read this book together. (This hypothetical child could read Twilight too if she wanted, of course. I would be quietly puking in the wastebasket in another room.)

2 comments:

  1. This is an AMAZING little lost piece of literature. Kudos to Hensteeth and to JK Rowling for trying to get ppl to notice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete