Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Anthologist--Nicholson Baker

Baker's writing always strikes me as odd but enjoyable. Not until this book did I think to call it poetic, however. But I suppose it is, and the style suits the book well. For the novel's narrator, Paul Chowder, is a somewhat-successful poet who is trying his best to write the introduction to a poetry anthology. He is (dun dun DUNN)...The Anthologist.

But really, two aspects of this novel make it a particular pleasure. One is the narrator's careful and passionate explanation of poetic rhythm. If that sounds boring as hell, well, what can I say. It's interesting, in the way mundane things are interesting when described by someone who is passionate about them. Also it helps if you like poetry.

The other aspect is Nicholson's writing itself, as above. Somehow it always makes the ordinary seem new and just a little strange. His sly and witty narration also slips in some sideways truths about life and human psychology. I wish I had my copy to quote from, but it's back at the library already... ready for the next reader to check out. Do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment